Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Fair in Alfonso Casta Martinez School


Mr. E. Burgos, Prof. S. Aponte and Ms. T. Santiago

     Last week, a BA student came to my office with an invitation to a Book Fair. For me, it was an invitation to heaven because after Borders closed their stores, there has been a great literary abysm for us book lovers. So this invitation was to me a continuation of the Library
Lovers Month celebration of the month of February.

     So yesterday, March 5th, I went to Alfonso Casta Martinez High School in Maunabo w here the book fair was being held. This activity was part of the practice teaching project that our English BA students develop; each project unique to fulfill needs of each school. I was welcomed by Ms. Tailisse Santiago Flores, the student who kindly invited me to this great event. The book fair held in the school's library was visited by students from this high school, as well as from visiting schools.

     It was very difficult in deciding what books to buy. There were books available for every young adult literary taste. I bought several books for myself and one for my daughter. I enjoyed the magic that books brought that morning. In addition to such special experience, I also saw a former student from our program, now a 10th grade teacher in this high school. I was able to share with the cooperating teacher Prof. Sonia N. Aponte also a former student from our BA program as well as Mr. Emmanuel Burgos another of the practice teaching students in Alfonso Casta Martinez High School.

     This Book Fair has been a great success. Students that visited the school library were able to acquire books of diverse genres and authors. It was an activity that joined together students from this and other schools as well as the community of Maunabo, for as I walked through town, an invitation of the book fair was displayed in the town's public library.

     Congratulations for such great initiative that helps young adults and the community as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment